This interview series features twitter accounts in and around the construction industry, a growing population within the Twittersphere. My only disclaimer is that I do not always agree with the advice.
Stats:Twitter Name: @cabinetmakers Twitter Bio: Custom Cabinets & Millwork Since 1978 ~ St Lic #361472 ~ #kbtribechat founder ~ tweets by @Stacy__Garcia Company Name: Garcia Cabinetmakers City/State: Huntington Beach, CA Main Website: GarciaCabinetmakers.com Facebook Page: facebook.com/GarciaCabinetmakers Admin Name: Stacy Garcia LinkedIN Profile: linkedin.com/in/garciacabinetmakers Followers: 1,849 Following:Follower Ratio: 1.14 Klout: 48
1. When did you start your twitter account?
May 14, 2009 but I did not really get active until late 2010.
2. What was your biggest obstacle in twitter?
Time management is my biggest obstacle. I have to be very cognizant of it or hours can go by in a flash.
3. How often do you tweet? Do you have a schedule?
I do not have a set schedule for tweeting during the day. Every morning I check my mentions and respond. I tweet news as I get it and sometimes retweet kitchen and bath information from bloggers I follow. I keep Hootsuite open during the day and monitor it. I manage a twitter chat that is every Wednesday. On some weeks my tweets are concentrated there.
4. What is your recommendation to new people on twitter?
- Don’t worry about quantity of followers. Follow and engage with quality accounts and your following will grow. I started out following accounts in our same industry and their friends. This has worked out well but it is also true that some of my most engaging and supportive followers are outside my industry, so be open minded and see who is active and interesting.
- I would also recommend tweeting from Hootsuite or Tweetdeck. Tweeting from your Twitter account is very limited. I set up columns for the home feed, mentions and direct messages. This way I can see all that is going on at a glance.
- Do not overtly sell. Twitter is about relationships and sharing.
5. What is your favorite hashtag and why.
#kbtribechat is my favorite hashtag. @kbtribechat is my twitter chat. We have a great group of kitchen and bath pros who have fun chatting every Wednesday from 2:00 to 3:00 pm EST. Members of our community take turns hosting and topics change weekly.
Editor’s Note: Check out the chat using Tweetchat.com here.
6. Did you have a twitter mentor? How did that come about?
Not really. I have had many supportive and talented friends on twitter to watch and ask questions of. @RobAinbinder is one of them.
7. Can you recommend a twitter account that we should be following?
First of all, your list of featured tweeters are must follows. @MarkJohnsonFAIA, @TALV58, @cupboards, @paul_anater, @rjmcontractors, @SketchThis, @NoraDePalma, @WoodNewman, @color4charlotte, @aechurba, @dcoopsd, @modenus and @ktpleslie are all engaging, inspirational tweeps that I think should be followed, to name a few.
I started tweeting thinking it would be marketing and it is so much more. I have found a vast community of interesting, supportive people like @RigginsConst.
Thank you for including us in your featured tweeters. We are honored.
More Featured Tweeters